Thursday, January 29, 2009

Starting off

About 6 months ago or so, I was reading one of my favorite shelter blogs, Shelteriffic, when I came across this post. I was intrigued, but promptly forgot about it (of course - my short-term memory leaves much to be desired). But when more posts appeared, starring these delightful trailers, it got me thinking....

I've always loved camping - car camping, to be specific. I'm not much of a pack it up on your back and walk 10 miles to get to the campsite kind of gal. I like to drive to the campground, and then camp there. We went car camping every summer when I was a kid and I loved it. Being raised in the Pacific Northwest instills a love of nature in you, and it's great to be out in it, getting some sunshine with your friends. As I've gotten older, I still love camping but I can't sleep very well on the ground. By the 3rd day, I'm incredibly cranky (just ask my sister K). So I got it back in my head that I wanted a teardrop trailer.

So I'm going to build one. I've looked through a lot of the plans offered online, and I've decided on these. I'm going to build the smaller trailer, the Cubby, because its base is a bolt-together heavy-duty trailer chassis (you can get them from Harbor Freight). The larger trailer requires that you weld together your own frame (intimidating!!!). I've never really built anything like this before, and I certainly haven't welded before, so any part that will make it easier for me is appreciated!

I'll be sure to include pictures as the progress, well, progresses.

I've added some teardrop trailer links to the sidebar as well. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. I think this is totally the CUTEST idea!! I can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete